SEO Checklist 2017 (11 Actionable Tips)
1. Basic understanding of SEO and HTML: Title tags, heading tags, alt tags, bold / italics, etc.
2. Understand basic keyword research (I use two keyword tools: keywordtool.io and answerthepublic.com) Try not to over complicate your keyword research but do spend time looking at user intent and optimizing for user experience for said keywords.
(Keyword Research tutorial: https://youtu.be/DrYwXqfWDi4?t=34)
3. On page SEO Basics: Use a free or paid SEO checker like SEOcentro, SEOsitecheckup, or SEOProfiler. Most of this stuff you should be able to eye ball if you understand the basics. However, if you’re going to be really competitive with your SEO you will want to use a good on page grader. IMO, SEO centro is the best you can get at the moment. Also, don’t under estimate the power of on page link building.
On Page SEO Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czHzrGGapAg&t=1079s
4. Off page SEO basics: Start doing email outreach with contextual targeting. Do guest posting, broken link building, expert round ups. I use pitchbox and email hunter.
Off Page SEO tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deV20LkcHIY&t=1585s
5. Basic understanding of Google Analytics.
Google Analytics tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1TaZZnozyk&t=5s
6. Repurpose content and try to dive into visual content as much as possible.
Repurposing content tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB67BdlOo_s&list=PLdb0X6BY62MTlV0kTauWGiJm3eqLMRmnz
7. STAY away from bad / useless information: Anything about PBN’s or buying links. (Buying citations are OK)
8. Streamline if you can. Don’t spend time doing tasks that you could have some one else help you with. You should always be learning in this industry as information moves at the speed of lightning.
Pitchbox tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp-FFMcZGwg&t=137s
9. Understand a little bit about similar niches like SMM, Email Marketing, SEM, A/B Testing, etc. This will help you get a better overall understanding of your audience and overall online marketing campaigns.
10. Don’t get outdated. Type in “SEO News” on Google every couple days or so and check out what’s coming out. Get familiar with the different algorithms like Rank Brain.
11. MOST IMPORTANTLY: don’t question yourself. SEO can be EXTREEMLY difficult to stay motivated with as it’s extreemly competitive and there are a lot of people who will seem to know more than you. This might be true but you can get very skilled in one catagory of SEO (like local seo for example) and present your own unique value and skills after in a short amount of time. Remember, it doesn’t matter if you’re the best. It only matters if you’re able to help peoples businesses out in ways that those business owners wouldn’t be able to do themselves WITH WHITE HAT SEO.
Good luck guys 🙂
Please watch: “How To Dominate Local SEO (Live Walk Through Tutorial)”
Related Article: SEO in Seattle